Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dodge wants to come back with the Challenger

Dodge wants to come back with the Challenger

Yes, its true.
    CNN had a report on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CNN Money Autos

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - It's starting to look like the muscle car wars of the late 1960s are coming back for real. Following this year's introduction of the Dodge Charger, the next muscle car name to be resurrected will be the Dodge Challenger, according to a report in the industry weekly Automotive News.

The Challenger will be based on the same platform as the Charger, which shares its mechanical underpinnings with the Chrysler 300 and the Dodge Magnum wagon, according to the report. The newspaper cites industry sources including outside analysts familiar with the development program.

No-one with Chrysler Group, the division of DaimlerChrysler responsible for Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep vehicles. would talk about the program, Automotive News said.

Unlike the Charger, the Challenger will be a two-door car, according to the report. That would put it in direct competition with the recently redesigned Ford Mustang and the Pontiac GTO. The current Charger has four doors.

Like the Charger, 300 and Magnum, the Challenger will be available with an optional V8 "Hemi" engine, Automotive News said.

When it was originally introduced for the 1970 model year, the Challenger was a small "Pony Car" competitor to the Ford Mustang and Chevrolet Camaro.

The car is scheduled to be introduced in 2009, Automotive News said. The report said the company expects to sell 60,000 to 70,000 Challengers a year
    Where is the imagination or creativeness in Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep Corp.?

I find this a bit sad of Dodge. I hope they don't screw this up.

The Charger shoulda been two-door to begin with, and the R/T model shoulda had the same gear as 300C SRT-8. Some stupid decisions coming outta there it seems.

Ameriaca needs to know, this is not a good time to revive the Muscle car. With gas the way it is, they need to just accept the fact that Muscle is dead, and move on to making family SEDANS that will compete with the imports.
    I have found a new love in the form of a tristar.

Except it isn't dead, as long as people buy them. And they will.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Prius
    Ameriaca needs to know, this is not a good time to revive the Muscle car. With gas the way it is, they need to just accept the fact that Muscle is dead, and move on to making family SEDANS that will compete with the imports.
    Prius needs to know: gas will NOT become cheaper in the long term....EVER.
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

hope it resembles the original challenger somewhat.....that was a beauty wasnt it.....
    if they come up with something like a charger its gonna be a total waste......

drrrrrrooooollll!!!!!!

Another 'heritage' Mopar .. essentially another recycled old-gen Mercedes whored out with big boobs and a loud dress

RWD Chryslers, the American version of Ssangyong ..

I'm sick of car companies making these incredible concept vehicles- see Charger and Eclipse - and by the time they make it into production they look just like every other vehicle on the road. The charger bares no resemblance to the classic, and im sure theyll screw up the challenger just as badly, even if they make a great looking concept... the ONLY company that did it right was ford with the GT. Id give you ten to one odd the only things that will make it from the original challenger will be the long hood and the HEMI- I would be happy if they would just bring back the car exactly like it was

Road and Track has a story about this and a possible new Camaro as well. The drawing they had of the Challenger had a Ram truck grille so that was the end as far as I'm concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by balenopower
    hope it resembles the original challenger somewhat.....that was a beauty wasnt it.....
    if they come up with something like a charger its gonna be a total waste......drrrrrrooooollll!!!!!!
    The original Challenger was a great looking car and I would love to see a modern version of it. But knowing Chrysler, they'll just make a coupe version of the current Charger...yuck!!!!
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

If it has an auto gear box forget it!!!
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Well i think what dodge was going for w/ the new charger was not make a new version of the old but make a car for people who grew up w/ the last one that now have families and need room but want a big nice engine. And thats what i think the charger does, maybe the challenger will be a bit more sporty, who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20
    If it has an auto gear box forget it!!!
    Most muscle cars actually ran 3 speed powerglides, etc, as they were stronger for drag racing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    Most muscle cars actually ran 3 speed powerglides, etc, as they were stronger for drag racing.
    I've never seen an actual 3 speed powerglide

Back in the day, most examples of the Australian version of muscle cars were predominantly manual, with the auto versions reserved for girly men

Quote Originally Posted by F1_Master
    I hope they don't screw this up.
    They will screw it up. No matter how remarkable a machine this may be when released, it'll still be a characterless reincarnation which succeeds only in using the name that once graced a thoroughbred muscle car.
    On a Good day, Chris Bangle designs the Fiat Coupe.
    On a Bad day, he designs a BMW.

R.I.P Richard Burns.

Thread Information