Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
The Peugeot 206 was quite small compared to the other WRC cars and that did quite well IIRC, so did the Audi S2 Quattro with its shortened wheel base and that was front engine too wasn't it?
Fast but ALWAYS very quick to bite for the simplest slip in concentration by the driver.
Try and find pics of the GroupB drivers at the end of stages and events.
They were sweating and VERY fatigued.
It was 100% the whole way.

But comparing WRC £200,000++ cars with solutions that could feasibly be provide in a production car isn't really fair

The short wheelbase allowed drivers to USE the instability to get higher speeds. Kind of like modern fighter planes which are designed to be UNstable in flight and then use computers to keep them in the air. Just that with the cars the only computer was the driver !!!!

I'm sure they could do a Mini for the soccer moms, but not a real performance 4x4. So why bother ?
I also dont' see them managing to get a propshaft down the centre and find the space for a diff without seriously compromising the interior -- kind of like the Clio V6 Hence why I thought applying hydraulic drive to each wheel could be accomodated and "interesting"